Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Christmas Jitters


The Christmas season caught me unprepared for this special occasion. I came back to the Philippines on December 11 with the worst cold I've ever had. It was so worst I had to nurse it for 10 days, 4 days in Delhi and almost a week here in the Philippines. I think having that cold was my body's way of telling me that I've had so much of " air conditioned air " in the midst of India's shivering winter. While my friends had stopped using their air conditioning units, I was still using it for three straight weeks. As a result, my body system had to keep my nose in a terrible condition to wake me up from a cold slumber.

The Christmas spirit is not as ubiquitous in India as it is in the Philippines. Christmas trees and other decors were not sold until the second week of December and by the time they were to remind me of the season, I was already crazy enjoying my last days in the city.

When I was finally home, the cold was still with me plus the tasks I have to accomplish were already piling up. Aside from that, the week when I arrived was already the last week before Christmas break starts which left me unable to keep up with the fast pace the Christmas season ply. It left me with no time to buy gifts for friends and colleagues and most of all to meditate on the reason for the season. It's like as if Christmas didn't come or maybe it was I who didn't make it for the season. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment