Monday, March 15, 2010

Wo de Fumu ( My Parents )

I have old parents. My father just turned 70 last February while my mother is turning 61 next month. Their wrinkled faces, slower gait, weakening physical abilities, and their less optimistic views in life constantly tell me, time has definitely passed by. That Marsha has grown up so much, that her parents are much older than when she was still young.


When I was still a child, my only idea of what old person means was based on a story my father told me about her mother. I’ve never seen my paternal grandmother. I just knew her through Papa's stories. According to my father, when he was still a little boy, he would always hold the wrinkled arms of his mother. As a child Papa often touch his mother’s wrinkled arms. It was a texture ( if I may call it such ) unusual to the touch. They were soft, flaky, and saggy. He would ask his mother, “ How did your arms become like that? “ And my father would not understand why no matter how hard his mother explains to him. He just could not figure out how a healthy skin could become like that as time passes. At 31, I do not have to repeat the same question. I know and have accepted that people become old even if he wants it or not. That his healthy skin will soon be ugly, wrinkled, saggy, dry, and even, flaky. My father and mother’s skin have become like that. Another reminder that tells me, my parents are now really old.


As a woman in my early 30s, I still want to do a lot of things that will make me happy and fulfilled. I want to travel, do volunteer work, study abroad, meet people, build new friendship, enjoy life, be a good citizen, and contribute to nation-building by helping the youth. Basically, they are the ones that can make me happy and worthy. My parents know this and they are so kind to support me. My parents have given me so much that whatever and wherever I am right now, I highly attribute all of these to them. More than anything, it is my family ( especially my parents ) that completes me. I may have traveled the whole world, obtained degree from the most prestigious university, helped thousands, forged friendship with the rich and famous but if I failed to become a good daughter to my parents especially in their twilight years, every accomplishment would just be a beautiful icing on top of a hollow cake. A sweet icing that will not satisfy a daughter's hunger.


The painting used above is by Zhang Xiaogang.

No comments:

Post a Comment